Tuesday 12 August 2014

August 12: On the train in the rain ...


I stare out the window as the suburbs pass me by
The window it is spotted as rain falls from the sky
The train it is packed with so many commuters
And almost every one has their own personal computer

There’s an Indian man with an iPhone I am betting
He’s speaking a language that my ears are just not getting
A grey haired old lady listens silently to no sound
As almost everywhere, there is digital life all around

Sixty million laptops, of which my own it is but one
Perched upon my lap while I get this rhyming done
The at Gordon we stop, to embark commuters more
Soaking and bedraggled, they file in through the door

My carriage it is filling, soon it’s standing room only
There’s a old man who though surrounded still looks pretty lonely
His eyes are gently closed, as he dreams about his past
He thinks the older that he gets, the time it passes fast

School kids they chatter about things quite mundane
Like who’s loving who, with not a care about the rain
Not a care in the world, oh to be young just once more
And to know what I know now , I’d be a young man held in awe

We roll closer towards the city, as the rain still it falls
A telephone it bellows, and she picks up the call
“I’ll call you back later”, she says into the phone
“Darling can't it all wait, until I get back home”

Emails and messages fly quickly through the air
Do they go through right my body, really I don’t care
I too close my eyes, and I think about my past
The stop after the next one, it will be close to my last

The rain has stopped, the sky appears to be brighter
Kids up on the platform all gang up on a fighter
So many bloody people, so little space to sit
Unhappy commuters, yes this commuting lark is shit
It’s morning peak hour, and like sheep inside a truck
We all move in our masses, just to earn another buck
From one place to another, we migrate every day
Please give me the lottery, so I don’t have to play

Wait, here’s my stop, where I alight so quickly from my train
In a little under ten hours I will do it all again
And make my way home again, from my long hard day at work
And if I don’t get a seat this time, I might just go berserk

No comments:

Post a Comment