Wednesday 19 March 2014

March 19: Did I (forget to) tell you you're under arrest ?


They chased him through the window and out on to the road
And he did not stop when called upon, his lungs cried overload
Suspected of wrongdoing, they’d arrest him on the spot
But he was having not a bar of it, not a single bloody jot

He ran down to the station, where the trains they went to sleep
At the bottom of overpass he looked up, it was so very steep
So he turned and faced the boys in blue, stood still, his face a frown
“Get on your knees” the Sergeant spat, but he firmly stood his ground

They walked at him with batons drawn, struck him twice and then again
To his elbow and once to each knee, but his face did not show pain
He stood there til they took him down, knees digging in his chest
They cuffed him then threw him in the van, with no mention of arrest

They drove him to the station, and charged him with resist
For failing to obey them when they screamed he should desist
But the cops they were not ready in their little country town
For the barrister from Sydney who would come to tear them down

The court case it was fruitful, for the client and his brief
The self righteous Senior Sergeant bombed his evidence in chief
“Was I acting in my duty when I bashed him with my stick?”
“Of course I was”, he argued, “He’s a non-compliant prick”

But the Magistrate did not agree, all charges were dismissed
Awarded costs against them, by crikey they were pissed
But now the fun has just begun, the Court’s decision paves the way
For a bad arrest and battery and false imprisonment they will pay

We quickly sued the buggers, you can’t go doing that
Flogging people if you feel they don’t respect your hat
Three small words, so powerful, could have saved you from this mess
“I’m arresting you” was all it took, so simple, but you said less

The case is over, we all got paid, and we are all so very pleased
Although I could have had a bit of fun, the Sergeant I could have teased
About how he didn’t know the law, in his little country town
I guess next time I’m passing through I’ll keep my city head right down

No comments:

Post a Comment