Thursday 2 January 2014

January 2 - Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll ...


When I was just a little tacker, and Elvis was the king
I sat spellbound for hours as the Beatles did their thing
I heard Lennon and McCartney, as they sang in harmony
At ten years old I knew it was a rock star's life for me

There was a minor hurdle though, well, major, I'm afraid
My dulcet tones could scare a deaf man from his hearing aid
But I'd belt them out, I did not care, who heard me near or far
Even better when protected by the windows of my car

I'd turn it up, sat at the lights, I'd croon with along with Taylor
James would work to do his best, he was no match for this sailor
And Carly Simon, she not so vain, wrote songs about herself
And William Shakespeare (the other one) sang songs about an elf

With Albert Hammond I sang along, about a girl down by a river
Newcastle's Screaming Jets, sang a song that they called "Shiver"
It's always been eclectic, what I like and what I hate
Billy Ray makes me cringe, but Eric Clapton's great
 
There's nothing that Mark Knoffler could not do with his guitar
Mick Fleetwood did a "selfie", so he could be the star
Stevie Wright was once an Easybeat, till he fell down from his perch
And country music touches me, especially Eric Church

Mama Cass could belt them out, John Phillips he got high
Was Michelle so very sexy? Yep. Denny Doherty will tell you why
The Birds, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, Cold Chisel they did "East"
That chick who sang about the boat, Cecile, it's her I like the least
 
Meatloaf he once rocked the world, but Elton's still a star
To Bernie Taupin's lyrics, I'd sing in any bar
To David Essex I sang along, as he urged you to "Hold me close"
With Aussie Crawl I had your daughters, up on the northern coast.

Let it be, Stand by me, songs of death and tragedy
Song of love, of raw desire, come on baby, light my fire
Darius was a Blowfish who craved to hold your hand
Paul Simon without his once best mate, he sang about Gracelands

INXS blew us all away, til Michael's night went wrong
Bon Scott drank himself to death, he's remembered in a song
Nick Cave sang of depth and despair, Shirl's flying took a dive
The Bee Gees put it in a song, but not all are "Stayin' Alive"

The girls they threw their underwear, offered themselves for free
Even to the old blokes, Mick and Keith, they cried "pick me"
Rod wedded and he bedded, and he sang of Maggie May
And Dobie prayed his mojo would not just drift away

We all adored our rock gods, as they strutted 'bout the stage
Our tastes matured, refined, developed, like wine, improved with age
Good muso's brought us pleasure, the great ones moved our soul
But what did they have in common? Sex, drugs and rock and roll

Apollo Bradfield: Sex and drugs and rock n roll

No comments:

Post a Comment