Friday 10 January 2014

January 11: Navy is my gravy ...

I'm a ring-in to this land of Oz
My Dad and Mum came here because
A better life called all of us
So we came out here to live

Life was good in the nation's 'cap
I fell into the sporting trap
School was just annoying crap
But life was pretty good

I joined the Navy at fifteen
Hardly having reached my teens
As good a sailor as you'd ever seen
I ventured off to sea

Sailed to places near and far
Visited almost every bar
Always trying to be the star
Not always at my best

In ’86 we tied the knot
The girl I wed she was so hot
Here and there we both did trot
She gave it up for me

I moved out west with my new bride
Went off to sea, and we both cried
When I came back she beamed with pride
The Tartan Terror ruled

Came back from the west in '92
To the "grey sponge" they sent me to
At DSD I didn't know what to do
They wouldn't let me in

I studied law, and management
For making waves I had a bent
Wrote arguments, their spleen I'd vent
But I was having fun

Twenty seven years I stayed
For all that time I still got paid
Sometimes worked, sometimes played
I loved it every second

Left the fold in zero four
Went to the Bar, I wanted more
It opened up that courtroom door
Took a while to settle

I still go back there now and then
Put on the whites, call up my friends
We talk about “way back when”
I miss it deep inside

As an organisation, Navy rules
Like every mob, we have our fools
But most of us are very cool
I’d join again tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. I agree - way too cool and I'd be back in a flash if I could get to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We played the game the best we could,
    Our Navy time was f&%$ing good

    ReplyDelete