Friday 10 January 2014

January 10: Don't touch me I'm a refugee ...

Don't touch me I'm a refugee, now get me off this boat
I paid that man a bunch of cash, success is now remote
He told me that you'd pick me up, and take me to your shores
I've been out her for sixteen days, I'm hungry, cold and poor

I met him at the airport, I had to pay a bribe
He said "I'll take you to Australia", my delight I couldn't hide
I will not have to stand in line, directly in I'll go
A house, a job, and steady life, it's true, he told me so

I left my home a month ago, for a hotel in Bogor
Twenty hours in a mini-van, to Surabaya's shore
Eighty people, women, kids, teenagers and men
Crammed us in to five old boats, then back to sea again

A plane, a bus, a leaky boat, it's not what I expected
It's all okay he told me, you will be protected
When you reach the open seas, a grey ship will arrive
Trash your boat, jump overboard, they'll help you all survive

It nothing like he told me, this boat is old and frail
This engine it dies twice an hour, and we do not have a sail
Rice and water, all I have, the sea is getting rough
Women and kids are crying, I'm pretending to be tough

I see a plane, it's in the clouds, does it know we're here
A grey ship steams in from the south, we huddle up in fear
Our captain throws the GPS and food into the sea
The engine coughs and then it dies, come and help us please

A rubber dingy comes up so close, five men they board our boat
Attach a rope to our front end, and drag us like a goat
This isn't good, it's morning time, the sun is to my right
We're going north, I know it's so, but I'm just too tired to fight

I'll tell a story, make a lie, they hit me, punched my face
Pressed my palms onto the motor, their behaviour a disgrace
I'll blame them for my peril, I'll garner sympathy
I cannot return from where I came, it's freedom that I seek

But their stories they do not make sense, although the media believes
Their hands show burns that are weeks old, and no bruises do we see
Your story mate, it's all made up, the lies that you all told
By the time the Aussies got to you, your engine - it was cold

No comments:

Post a Comment